My Personal Calling to Pray

Everyone is called to pray, but not everyone is called to full time intercession. Many people are not even aware that people are called to full time intercession, but it is a principle clearly seen in the Bible. In the Old Testament, the tribe of the Levites in Israel had a special calling to serve the tabernacle. Some did practical maintenance, others gave themselves to the sacrifices and incense that the law required. In David’s day, the Levites were set apart specifically to worship with music and cry out to God around the ark of the covenant, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is absolutely stunning. King David was the one and only leader in Israel’s history that led the entire nation from the centerpiece reality of a 24/7 prayer furnace. Many other great Jewish leaders with a heart for God reformed and revived the worship and prayer ministry, but no one mobilized prayer with the passion that David had and the rich amount of resources he possessed to back it up. This prayer ministry was a prophetic picture of what God is now raising up in these days. This is most clearly seen in Amos 9:11, where the Holy Spirit prophesies that God will “restore the tabernacle of David” in the last days.

Many young men and women are now being grafted into this end time prayer movement that will usher in the greatest revival in human history. End time Levites, intercessors, and prophetic worshippers are feeling the call of the Spirit to give themselves to a life of fiery intercession and adoration of Jesus in the house of prayer. Maybe you are one of them. I know I am.

Recently a friend was writing to me about a certain situation in her life and she made this comment: “I sometimes think that following God is like going around this large bend in the river and you can never really see what is about to happen next, but you know the boat is safe.” I have found this analogy to be true in the way that God has unraveled my calling to intercession over the past few years. At first, all I knew was that Jesus had jump-started my heart in a radical way and that I was to give my life to Him forever. Then, as the boat slowly drifted around the bend in the river, I began to see other clues as to what I would be called to, the kind of work I would do, and even certain subjects in the Word that would consistently jump out at me and draw me into the presence of God. I certainly don’t have all the information yet, but the picture is clearer than it has ever been before and my purpose is more focused and refined.

I believe my generation needs this kind of unction and clarity about our calling. True, there are times to simply trust, when God intentionally does not show us the whole picture. But – it is our inheritance to gain an increased understanding of what we were made for. We are not destined to perpetually walk blindfolded on the path of Christianity in the name of “faith.” Paul prayed that the church would “be filled with the knowledge of His will” and that we would come to know the “hope of His calling” (Colossians 1:9, Ephesians 1:18). This sense of purpose and destiny lights the flame of our inspiration and gives us vision in the midst of the mundane. It changes the way we spend our time; we become as those who run to win, those who fight without their arms beating the air (1 Corinthians 9:26).

Knowing Jesus is the destiny that we all share. It is the highest calling; the first and greatest commandment. But we are also called to make Him known and spend our time and resources in a variety of ways, and this is where our individual destinies really come into play. God picked us out in our mother’s womb for something great, something that would make us tremble with excitement when we really grasped it. In unique and yet adjoining ways, we are called to change the people around us for the glory of God’s kingdom. We may only know a small portion of this plan right now, but a little bit of divine purpose can go a long way.

I am called to change history through prayer. I have many dreams, and many other God-given goals and aspirations, but no other vision compares to this one. I have the privilege of connecting with the Creator in intimacy, the glory of seeing the mysteries of His will that have been hidden for generations, and the sober mandate to call those things into existence through intercession. Hearts melt in repentance as I plead for mercy on people’s lives; relationships are mended through the weak words that I offer up before heaven; national leaders rise and fall at the sound of my voice; cities shake from the weight of my groanings. Do we have eyes to see the scepters we hold in our hands? Do we realize the keys of the kingdom that have been given to us? Oh, if we knew what happened behind the veil as we offer up our love and supplications before the King. We need our eyes opened. Those who see the most, pray the most. Like the living creatures in the throne room of Revelation 4 that have eyes all over their bodies, we would worship and pray with their fervency if only we could see what they see.

For the past week I have been writing down all the instances in my life where the Lord has called me to pray. Honestly, I am not sure why. Something is brewing that I know not of. Perhaps one of my most significant memories along these lines is the time I was participating in a night time prayer and worship meeting at the Praise Center Church in Visalia. The presence of God began to swirl about me with an unusual intensity - I was soon caught up in the supernatural joy and energy of the Lord. After a few minutes of enjoying the Holy Spirit, I began to feel a burden to pray for revival, and I started to silently cry out for reformation and change in the city. Suddenly, I heard a voice inside: Will you give your life to this? I knew it was a serious question – God does not utter words in vain. There would be repercussions for the way I answered Him. I knew it was truly a moment in time when God was asking me to devote my life to the ministry of prayer. After a few minutes of sober consideration, I answered Him - yes.

There are a handful of other sovereign moments I can recall where God has led me in this direction. I meditate on these experiences for encouragement in those many times when praying long hours seems foolish and wasteful. In my heart, I know that prayer changes things more effectively than any other ministry method. But even more important than its impact on the world around me, I know that my prayers give great pleasure to the heart of my Beloved. Like Mary of Bethany, I am determined to pour out my vial of worship before Jesus. Other members of the church may respond like Judas did, and reprovingly ask why such time and money are being wasted in such a manner, but Jesus answered by rebuking him for his shortsightedness. He went on to make Mary an example for all succeeding generations. Jesus’ response to the unbelieving disciple forever validates the ministry of prayer and those who are called to it in an extravagant way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Discovered That Jesus Really Wants a House-of-Prayer-Church

Advertisement For a New Christianity

Endure the Cross; Despise the Shame