Eternity in View

...I wrote this and read this out loud at my birthday dinner two Saturdays ago, the 2nd.

May 2, 2009

So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom… - Psalm 90:12

I was talking to a friend over dinner the other day, and as usual, the conversation started to turn toward spiritual matters. Now, my friend has had a history with God, but because of some painful circumstances in recent years, he has since rejected the notion that Jesus is the only way to heaven. Once a member of the community of faith, he has now developed a new spirituality that does include any specific god or moral code. It was rather impossible to avoid the topic, though. We started talking about faith, Jesus, and eventually, heaven and hell.

After some visible frustration at some of the things I was saying, he finally looked at me and said with pointed bluntness: “So let me guess – you believe that I am going to hell.”

A little caught off guard, I slowly responded, “Well…I don’t know your heart and where exactly you stand with God, but I do believe that people that do not accept Jesus’ sacrifice for their lives and choose to obey Him will end up in hell.” I felt completely awkward making a statement like that, but I knew it to be true, however harsh or politically incorrect it sounded. A statement like that draws lines in the sand; a statement like that tends to make a pleasant evening with a friend turn sour.

With an almost defiant look on his face, he retorted, “Ok, that’s me – my life is not committed to Jesus.” He seemed to lean in, waiting to hear what I would say. That was it. The lines were drawn. There was no ambiguity. Generalized statements had flown out the door; it was now excruciatingly personal.

I paused, and then finally looked into his eyes and said softly, “Then you are in that category, my friend.” I felt a strong surge of sadness as soon as I spoke those words. Again, everything within me knew it was the truth, and I hurt because of his stubborn stance. I also knew his story, and I knew that the complicated arguments that he had begun to form against orthodox Christianity had a lot more to do with personal rejection he had faced from certain leaders in the church than it had to do with clear minded reasoning. As is so often the case, deep heart experiences had transferred over into certain intellectual lines of thought that justified his actions. Because of that, I felt sorry for my friend, and the stark reality of where he claimed he stood with God only pained me further.

Even so, the impact of the conversation itself brought me above and beyond my relationship with my friend. The reality of heaven and hell and its relevance for real people all around me began to disturb me in a new way. I looked at all the people around me in the busy restaurant and began to wonder, Do these people know Jesus? Do I care if they do or not? In the few seconds that tensely lingered after the short answer I had given to my friend, thoughts continued to flood through my mind. Looking at the many faces in the crowded venue about me, the world began to suddenly feel like a gigantic slip’n’slide tilted towards an eternal black hole. What was worse in the grand scheme of things? A turbulent economy poised for immediate disaster, new viruses flooding different parts of the globe with frightening and unpredictable velocity, or the fact that the majority of the human race has completely turned its back on its Creator? I feel compassion for those adversely affected by recent world events, but there is a new urgency creeping upon me for the vast multitudes that truly think that long life and money are their greatest concerns. Hope merely in a new job, physical safety, or achieving acceptance from friends and family is a shallow hope indeed.

Honestly, I think my friend was as caught off guard by my final answer as I was by his first question. He looked surprised. He squirmed for a bit, and then asked if we could change the subject. I said ok. The conversation went on; the feeling of sadness in my stomach lingered.

Later that night, my friend made a passing comment that affected me almost as much as our previous discussion over dinner. In fact, it was this comment that led me to compose this short little essay for tonight. He was going over some of his plans for the future, and with a casual laugh he said something along the lines of, “Hey – I don’t know about all this heaven and hell stuff, but I do know one thing: I’ve got to enjoy life as much as I can in the here and now.” I didn’t know what to say; I had already said my bit. All I could do was pray.

Proverbs 23 verses 17 and 18 state, “Do not let your heart envy sinners, but be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; for surely there is a hereafter, and your hope will not be cut off.” The message is this – there is an eternity. As the Apostle James says, our lives are but a vapor compared to our experience in the age to come. Do not follow the ways of those people that live merely for the here and now. There is a hereafter, and those who live in light of it will be found wise at the end of the day.

I know this is a strange story to share at one’s birthday dinner, but I wanted more than just a nice ice cream and hamburger experience tonight. I want every aspect of my life to honor the Lord, not just a Sunday morning worship service or a Wednesday night Bible study. Tonight I ask that we stop for a moment and look towards that quickly dawning horizon called ETERNITY. For some, the destination looms closer than it does for others. No matter how soon those of us in this room make that transition, we know that our choices here and now will echo there forever. When we sow in righteousness and bank everything upon Jesus Christ Himself and the Hope of His Return, we live in a way that causes the world to scoff but makes God smile. When we sow to our own dreams, fleshly desires and ambitions, we will soon find that all of it will turn to ashes before the judgment seat of Christ. Either way, in just a short moment everything that is made of the gold of heaven in our own hearts will be revealed, and all else will be thrown into the fire.

This experience with my friend the other day sobered me and reminded me of some important truths. Most of all, as the Proverb says, there is a hereafter, and we would do well to live with heaven in mind. Our hope is not in this nation, more money, a future spouse, or a little bit of enjoyment in this life – it is in Jesus. My friend was wrong. We cannot avoid the truths of heaven and hell and act as if a little bit of pleasure in the here and now will suffice. Every day our hearts are growing colder or hotter with love, and we would do well to live with a watchful and prayerful spirit. Either God and His Word are true, and we must completely lose our lives for His sake, or He is not, and we are the biggest fools in the universe. It is all or nothing. Those who choose to live in the murky grey area in between are simply deceiving themselves.

Economic hardship, the increase of wars, and scares of rapidly spreading pestilences can be a gift to us in this hour. Eternity is bearing down upon us – we must choose light or darkness. This was always the urgent choice before us, but the decision comes much clearer when we are faced with the death of a loved one or other troubles in this life. Oh, that God would open our eyes to eternity and awaken us to righteousness!

Jesus was speaking of the end of the age when He said, “And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: they ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.”

Giving ourselves over to acceptable things such as food, drink, physical intimacy in marriage, new business deals, nicer cars and better jobs can be our greatest undoing when Jesus is at the door. Only what is done in Christ will survive the true test of time. Let us not be like the fools in Noah and Lot’s day that lived as if eternity were a dream. Now is not the time to hold on to our money like misers; more than ever, now is the time to gladly give all that we have away to the poor and needy. And now is not the time to tread the line with alcohol and other substances that dull our spirits; now is the time to pray and fast as the apostles and prophets of old did, that we might be sharp with discernment and abounding in love.

In short, it is time to lose our lives for Jesus once again. In that place we will find life for our souls in the here and now, and we will be found wise at the end of our short time on this earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Discovered That Jesus Really Wants a House-of-Prayer-Church

Advertisement For a New Christianity

Endure the Cross; Despise the Shame