Even Suzanne Somers Will Die

I didn't take the comment personal - I promise.  And I don't think they meant any harm.  It was a little surprising, though.  

     Mostly, it made me sad.  For them.

     I was with a group of people the other day, and one of them made this remark: "I am so thankful to have my health.  If you don't have your health, you don't have anything!"  

     I cringed when they said it.  Not because I was upset, like I mentioned, but because I was the only person in the room with an obvious and serious physical ailment, and I self-consciously feared all eyes would turn towards me.  Thankfully, they didn't.  The conversation resumed, other ideas were brought up, but my thoughts were still contemplating that statement.  

     It sounded like a clever maxim, the kind that is passed on from grandmother to parent, from parent to child, and so on.  Something you say in moments just like the one mentioned, highlighting the supreme importance of that prized possession known as good health.  But for all its well-trimmed qualities and appearance of wisdom, my question was: is it true?  

     As I sat there in my introverted world of swirling thoughts and imaginary arguments while others continued their merry talk around me, I realized that if it is, in fact, true, than I am one sorry case.  I don't have my health.  Oh, I can do a lot of things in my current state, for which I am thankful, but the large bag of medications I carry when I travel and the maddeningly small number of foods I can eat each day both remind me that I am seriously lacking in the wellness department.  Should I be crying in despair, then?  Should I envy those around me who have "everything," while I pitifully sit here with "nothing," waiting for healing?

     Of course not.  Because the statement made that day is not true.  Not by a long shot.

     One of the main problems with it is that we are ALL sick with a terminal illness - it's called mortality.  The healthiest people who ever lived still hit that immovable wall called "death" at a hundred miles per hour.  I predict that you will too, unless the Lord returns soon.  Even Suzanne Somers will face her end, believe it or not. 

     In light of that, doesn't it behoove us to find deeper meaning to life than just staying out of the grave a few more years?  Well I think so, and that's where the Bible becomes super handy.

     The Bible is packed full of truth that applies not only here and now, but also for all eternity.  As Paul said to his younger counterpart, Timothy, who was probably prone to the shortsightedness of youth - "Train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:7-8).  That is the only verse I know of that directly deals with physical fitness, and it gives it merely a passing nod: "Yes, that's helpful - better than being lazy and gluttonous.  Anyway, back to things that will matter for eternity..."  For this reason, I cannot call the obsession with weightlifting, sports, and protein and creatine supplements anything but idolatrous.  (None of those things are evil in themselves, for sure, but in America, it is nothing short of worship.  Recently one of my favorite authors and some other well known Christian leaders went to a conference/food drive in Denver to feed the homeless and raise awareness for the needs of the poor.  Because of the heavy rain, only a little over a hundred showed up.  Down the street, thousands of Denver Bronco fans cheered wildly and without regret through hours of rain.  Need I say more?)

     Elsewhere Paul makes his point more dramatically: "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men" (1 Corinthians 15:19).  In other words, if looks, longevity, and likes on your Facebook page are all you have to live for, you ain't livin' for much, and you have the apostle's pity.  You have my sympathies as well.

     The good news, though, is that we who have a living relationship with Christ and live accordingly are part of "a kingdom that cannot be shaken" (Hebrews 12:28).  It's also good news that if you don't, you can give Jesus your life today.  We have the massive privilege of praying, loving, and serving in ways that will quite literally last forever.  Whether you have your health or not.  Whether you are in a wheelchair or not.  Whether you have cancer, body pain, ADD, or ADHD with extra D's on the end of it. 

     If you really know this Jesus, you will:

     - Count it a loss when asked to sacrifice something for Him
     - Live for His approval, and not in fear of those around you
     - Buy things as if they are not yours to keep, use things of this world as if not engrossed in them, and if they are stolen, you will rejoice, knowing you have "better and lasting possessions"
     - Realize that to live is Christ and to die is gain
     - Be more concerned for revival than retirement
     - Treat money as a tool to give more, not a prize to get more
(Phil 3:7-8, 1 Cor 7:30-31, Heb 10:34, Phil 1:21)

     This is what life is supposed to look like for those who have been even a little warmed by the fire of His presence.  The real tragedy to me, if you want to know the truth, is to live a healthy, prosperous, and successful life, and never know this beautiful God. 

     Because knowing Him is everything.  And if you don't, you truly don't have anything. 


Comments

Anna said…
<3 YES <3

Popular posts from this blog

How I Discovered That Jesus Really Wants a House-of-Prayer-Church

Advertisement For a New Christianity

Endure the Cross; Despise the Shame