Brief Thoughts on Jesus from Mark's Gospel

I am attending a discipleship school part time right now. I've been through 2 years of this program under the leadership of Tim and June Ainley, but now I'm back again. Actually, I think I am on staff, but in my case that doesn't mean more than me showing up to school each morning for about 2 or 3 hours, or until I get too tired to listen or sit up anymore. However long I stay, it is an immense blessing just to be there.
We're reading through the book of Mark now in our devotional times. Like a good staff member and scout, I have been reading it through ahead of time. I love this Gospel. And I'm falling in love with Jesus Christ again...the Man, Jesus Christ.
He walked around Galilee, Jerusalem, and some surrounding Gentile regions for 3 1/2 years with power resting on His frame. He taught the the Word of God, and people were amazed. His simple stories about the Kingdom were easy to hear but contained vast depths of understanding. His standards of fiery righteousness challenged them. He talked about God like He really knew Him. The anointing on His words allowed no one to shrug their shoulders; they either received or rejected it with a passion. For all looks and purposes He was a normal Jewish carpenter, but when He spoke a sword came from His mouth. Hearts were cut in two, and there was no neutral response to the ministry of the Jesus from Nazareth.
Mark emphasizes the fact that Jesus came in a way that people didn't expect. They wanted a King, and He came as a servant. They wanted a Lion to devour their enemies; Jesus came as the Lamb that was to willingly give His life into the hands of His own enemies. The disciples wanted thrones, and Jesus offered them crosses. This "gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God," culminates with Him dying naked on a tree. Alone. In shame, and in pain. Who would choose to lead this way?..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Discovered That Jesus Really Wants a House-of-Prayer-Church

Advertisement For a New Christianity

Endure the Cross; Despise the Shame